Spanish courses in Bilbao
Choose your Spanish course in Bilbao:
We offer a wide variety of Spanish language courses in Bilbao. Whether it is linguistic, academic, or professional, our program is always tailored to meet your needs.
No matter how long you have been learning Spanish, we will help you to acquire this international language quickly and easily. Our experienced teachers are here to answer all your questions, queries and concerns. Teachers and other staff are also available to support you in making the cultural transition as smoothly as possible, as well as to boost your learning and progress in Spanish. Whatever you need to make the best of your experience!
In the morning, the Spanish classes are from 9.30am to 1.30pm from Monday to Friday, a small 30 minutes break with which an average class lasts 50 minutes each. We garantee 6 levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) all year around and the possibility of starting the course any monday of the year.
In the afternoon we offer you courses of Spanish between 5pm and 6 pm from Monday to Thursday that can be attended individually or along with the morning courses. In the afternoon we garantee 4 levels (A1, A2, B1, B2) the whole year around and the possibility of starting any monday of the year. The classes are 60 minutes long.
Everyweekday and some weekends we plan free leisure activities for all the students of the school: cultural visits, excursions, parties, gastronomy, concerts, films, sports. Moreover you'll have the opportunity of spending time with Spanish people, make friends and put into practice what you learnt thanks to the contracts with native people that the Instituto offers.
The curriculum is designed with you as a learner in mind: to build your skills and confidence. The Spanish classes are focused on the essentials of language acquisition: speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
Lessons are lively and interactive, with discussions, projects, role-playing, and specific tasks. Your progress is carefully monitored and your weaker points in the language are corrected immediately.
Study Sessions are available to download.
We offer our students six language learning levels which have been outlined by the Instituto Cervantes. At Instituto Hemingway, students are placed at one of these levels based on what they are capable of doing in the Spanish language:
Basic Speaker (A):
Level A2 (Waystage): At this level you have no or little knowledge of Spanish. You are unable to communicate in daily situations.
Level A2 (Waystage): You can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to relevant themes and for immediate use. You can present yourself and others, and ask for basic information about homes, origins and backgrounds. You can communicate on a basic level if your interlocutor speaks slowly and is willing to help.
Independent Speaker (B):
Level B1 (Threshold): You are capable of understanding phrases and expressions relating to familiar, regularly encountered matters (basic information about self and family, work, shopping, school, leisure etc) You have errors in conversation and basic grammar and need to improve your linguistic skills.
You can describe in simple terms events and experiences in addition to questions related to immediate necessity.
Level B2 (Vantage): You are capable of understanding the main points of a text relating to frequently encountered topics such as work, study and leisure, and written in standard Spanish. You can manage with most situations arising whilst travelling in a Spanish speaking area. You are capable of producing simple and coherent texts relating to familiar topics or those of personal interest.
You can describe past experiences and events, hopes and aspirations, briefly explaining them and expressing an opinion.
Proficient Speaker (C):
Level C1 (Effective Operational Efficiency): You are familiar with most grammatical structures but still have some problems using them. Pay attention to correcting typical errors. You will improve colloquial and literary expressions. You are capable of understanding the main ideas of complex texts. You can express yourself clearly and fluently without significant effort. You can produce clear and detailed texts on a variety of topics and can defend your point of view in general discussions.
Level C2 (Mastery): You can understand a wide variety of demanding texts and recognise implicit meaning. You can express yourself fluently and spontaneously without having to search for an appropriate expression. You can use the language flexibly and fluently for social, academic and professional purposes. You can produce clear, well structured and detailed texts on complex themes whilst demonstrating accurate usage of organisational and cohesive devices.
On finishing a level C2 course, the student will be capable of:
- understanding with ease practically everything heard or written.
- summarising and reconstructing information and arguments in both a written and spoken form and presenting them in a coherent and precise manner.
- expressing him/herself spontaneously and fluently, with a great degree of precision, differentiating between linguistic nuances even in the most complex of situations.
On the first day, students' level of Spanish is evaluated by a simple test which enables them to be placed at an appropriate level.
Instituto Hemingway ensures that class levels correspond with the Common European Framework for Languages to facilitate the evaluation and certification of our students.
If you are interested in preparing for the exams which are set by Instituto Cervantes in order to obtain the Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera (DELE), you can count on us. As an Instituto Cervantes accredited centre, Instituto Hemingway has all the resources you need to ensure that you can prepare successfully for the Diploma. We have specialised material, including past exam papers, and our teachers will help you with practical advice. Another advantage is that you can take the exam in Bilbao.
There are now six different levels for the exam - A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 y C2 - and there are three opportunities per year to take the exam in Spain - in May, August and November. Please contact us for more information about enrollment.
The DELE is an official qualification, graded on competence and mastery of the Spanish language, and is offered by Instituto Cervantes on behalf of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Social Politics and Sport.
- The Level A1 DELE, Diploma in Spanish (beginning with DELE) is a qualification which is equivalent to level A1, the first of the six levels of learning set out by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This qualification accredits that students will be able to use elementary language in communication situations involving immediate needs or very common everyday matters.
- The Level A2 DELE, Diploma in Spanish (now you can take the lead forward) certifies that the candidate is capable of understanding everyday phrases and expressions related to personal experiences (basic information about family, shopping, places of interest, jobs etc.)
- The Level B1 DELE (formerly beginner), certifies that candidates already have a level of Spanish which places them at a slightly higher than beginner level.
- Level-B1 DELE examination (DELE B1 for Schools) is the Diploma that certifies the linguistic competence in Spanish of school pupils between the ages of 12 and 17; it is integrated into formal education. It certifies level B1, but its contents have been adapted for school pupils.
- The Level B2 DELE (show what you know) provides candidates with the certainty that they have reached an advanced level of Spanish which enables them to communicate successfully both orally and in writing.
- The Level C1 DELE (it's time to move up) guarantees that the progress of the student in the language has been a success, and certifies more than an advanced level of Spanish.
- The Level C2 DELE (make it to the top) certifies sufficient linguistic competence to perfectly handle any kind of situation, proving a spontaneous capacity of adaptation to any context, with a great deal of semantic and grammatical precision. The language users express themselves fluently, with a high degree of specialization and complexity.
You can find more information about the DELE at http://diplomas.cervantes.es
All didactic material is provided free of charge by Instituto Hemingway. This includes a text book corresponding to your level with a grammatical appendix and the necessary extra class material.
Usually we use the materials of 'Aula' by the editorial 'Difusion' and 'Prisma' by the editorial 'Edinumen' along with other specific material and supplementary. In the school of Spanish we have broadband Wi-Fi connection so you can connect with your own computer.
Instituto Hemingway is open every weekday afternoon until 8.30 pm. You can use the computers and internet connection, the library and film collection and all of the resources available free of charge in order to keep improving your Spanish.
The Instituto Hemingway is open all year round except on holidays. Open, as a matter of fact, in summer and Christmas.
- New Wine Tasting: Garnacha! Activity with the Spanish courses
- New activities at Instituto Hemingway in November
- UMCOMING: Wine Tasting on the 5th November with our Spanish course
- UMCOMING: Egypt in Bilbao on Tuesday 12th November
- UPCOMING: On Friday 1st November, Instituto Hemingway offers a very special activity
- A young student from England on why you should study spanish in Spain
Enter username and password